At least 15 people were killed and over 100 wounded in a series of earthquakes that hit the northwestern part of Afghanistan on Saturday, officials said, fearing the death toll might go up, according to Anadolu Agency. Afghanistan Disaster Management Authority's spokesman Mullah Janan Saiq said the death toll could further rise, adding the earthquakes caused heavy damage in northwestern Herat and Badghis provinces. 'So far 15 people are killed and 40 others wounded who were shifted to local hospital,' Saiq said in a video message posted on YouTube. However, Afghan Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid told Anadolu that the number of deaths now stands around 15 to 20 while over 100 have been wounded. According to the US Geological Survey (USGS), strong earthquakes of magnitude 5.5, 5.9, and 6.2 jolted the Herat and Badghis provinces of Afghanistan. World Health Organization (WHO) Afghanistan said casualties from the earthquake continue to be reported. 'As deaths and casualties from the #earthquake in #Herat, @Afghanistan continue to be reported, @WHO Teams are in hospitals assisting treatment of wounded and assessing additional needs. @WHO-supported ambulances are transporting those affected, most of them women and children,' WHO said on X. The strong tremors spread panic among locals and thousands of people came out of their homes and markets.
Source: Azerbaijan State News Agency